Filing Taxes

Have more questions? Submit a request

This article contains information that is helpful for Headway providers. If you are a client and have questions, check out our support articles for clients!


Introduction to Tax Filing with Headway

Headway is required to collect W-9 forms from all providers on our platform. This form provides the legal name, address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) of each contracted provider.

Headway will then use the information received in the signed W-9 forms to populate the taxpayer identification needed to complete 1099 forms, which will be distributed to all contracted providers that were paid $600 or more during the year. 


W-9 requests and 1099 filing will be coming from New York Medical Behavioral Health Services, P.C. as this is the legal entity that providers are paid from.


W-9 Collection 

Tax1099 is an IRS authorized e-filing and compliance platform. Headway will be utilizing Tax1099 to collect W-9 forms and file the appropriate tax forms to the IRS (most commonly Form 1099-NEC).

What to expect for W-9 Requests:

1. You will receive an email from Tax 1099. Emails will be sent from the address: with the subject line "Form W-9 Request" as shown below.


2. Once you click the link, your tax information will be pre-filled based on the information you've entered in Sigmund. If you need to make any edits to this information you can do so via the form.



Frequently Asked Questions 

What is included in Tax Information?

Tax information includes: Name of Business, Address, & Employer Identification Number (EIN)/Social Security Number (SSN). This information should be provided via IRS Form W-9 to Headway.

What if I provided the wrong tax information to Headway?
If your tax information changes for any reason please provide a new and updated W-9 to Headway as soon as possible and before the end of the calendar year with the effective date of the change. The tax information Headway has on file for the provider should match exactly to the tax information on the bank account receiving payments from Headway. Examples of reasons to change: (1) Business has moved addresses, (2) I provided my individual tax information when in fact I run my practice through a business entity (SMLCC, S-Corp, C-Corp, etc.), (3) I legally changed the name of my business.
Do I also need to file a W-9 with the IRS?
No, a W-9 is only provided to the payer requesting it (i.e., Headway) and is not filed with the IRS.
What is the timeline of receiving a 1099?

You can expect to receive a 1099 to the email address associated with your Headway account in early February 2023.

What is the dollar threshold in order to receive a 1099?

If Headway has paid your practice at least $600 (excluding the welcome/referral bonuses) in 2022, then you will be receiving a 1099-NEC. Kindly note, the $600 minimum does not include sessions that may have occurred in 2022 but are scheduled for payout in 2023.

If I have an issue with my 1099, how do I contact Headway?

Please reach out via and include your practices' full name.

What is the difference between a 1099-K and 1099-NEC?

1099-Ks are issued by an online payment processor automatically if you receive $600 or more via an individual online payment processor (ex., Paypal). Headway will only file a 1099-NEC for payments that did not go through a payment processor that issues 1099-K. This might include cash, check, or direct deposit. If you believe you have erroneously received both a 1099-K and 1099-NEC for the same income, please reach out via

What if I never received a 1099 from Headway, but I believe I should have?

Please reach out via and include your practices' full name.

What happens if I don't provide taxpayer information?

U.S. tax rules require Headway to obtain taxpayer information from every provider on our platform. If you do not provide us with taxpayer information, then Headway may pause your calendar abilities and prohibit further sessions until the W-9 is received.

Articles in this section