This article contains information that is helpful for Headway clients. If you are a provider and have questions, check out our support articles for providers!
Table of Contents
How do I get started with finding a provider?
Knowing what to look for can be hard, so we’re here to make it as simple as possible. When you click "Find a Therapist" you'll be asked to fill out as much or as little of our questionnaire as you'd like. We'll use that to help match you with talk therapists, providers who manage medication, or a combination of both, and we're always here to help you talk it through and figure out what might be best for you.
Some providers offer phone consultations. This is a fifteen-minute, non-billed session where you and the provider can get to know each other, they can answer any questions you have, and you can decide together if you'd like to move forward with booking a full session. When you look at a provider's profile, you will see a "Schedule a phone consultation with ____ today" above "Book now" on the right column.
What are the differences between the types of providers on Headway?
- Talk therapists
- Talk therapists are supportive licensed professionals who can help you work through everyday challenges, major life changes, or anything else that might be affecting you. Each therapist specializes in different areas which are listed on their profile.
- You can use the "Psychiatric care" filter on our site and select "Talk therapy" to browse available talk therapists!
- Talk therapists include LMHCs, LCSWs, LMFTs, Counselors, LPs,LCAT, Psychologists profile.
- Psychologists (PsyD, Phd) have a doctorate level degree in psychology.
- LMHC, LCSWs, LMFTs, LCATS, LPs, and Counselors have a Master’s degree.
- Psychiatrists and medication management professionals
- We have a range of medical professionals who are able to prescribe medication to support mental health treatment. These providers have extensive experience with medication management among a range of populations.
- You can use the "Psychiatric care" filter on our site and select "Medication management" to browse available providers who offer medication evaluation and management services!
- Providers who can prescribe or manage medication include Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, MDs, and DOs.
- Psychiatrists, MDs have completed medical school and residency.
- Nurse Practitioners have completed 4 years of nursing school and 3 years of specialized training in mental health.
I'm trying to find a specific provider—how can I do that?
Go to Headway and opt to look up a specific provider by name, versus browsing providers by location, concern(s) or insurance carrier.
Before scheduling a session, you will need your insurance information and payment information completed. You can enter this information in your account!
I'm having a hard time finding a provider—can I get matching assistance?
Yes! Please contact us, and be sure to include the front and back images of your insurance card, along with your preferences below:
- Insurance Carrier:
- Location (state and zip):
- Session type (talk therapy, medication management, or both):
- Time of day for sessions (morning, afternoon, evening, weekend):
- Are you open to telehealth (virtual) session or do you prefer in-person?
- Are there any specific specialties or focus areas you are looking to discuss?
- Any age, gender, ethnicity provider preferences?
Be sure to check out our article on what to expect for your first session for more information on what to consider when looking for a provider!