This article contains information that is helpful for Headway clients. If you are a provider and have questions, check out our support articles for providers!
Table of Contents
What are FSAs, HSAs, and HRAs?
Everyone loves a work perk! Employers may offer one or a combination of the following healthcare cost-saving benefits as part of your employee benefits package:
- A Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) empowers members to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified medical expenses. Clients must determine a set amount to be contributed to their FSA at the beginning of the plan year as it cannot be replenished mid-year. FSAs are generally paired with traditional health plans. Members do not keep their unused FSA money but rather, those funds are forfeited back to their employer.
- A Health Savings Account (HSA) lets you use pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified medical expenses. An HSA-qualified health plan is required in order for a client to utilize HSA benefits (not all plans are eligible). You can invest HSA dollars and grow tax-free earnings. Funds never expire—even if you change health plans, employers, or retire.
- A Healthcare Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) is an employer-owned and employer-funded account designed to help members bridge the gap on eligible healthcare expenses. Clients won’t pay taxes on money that comes from their HRA for qualified medical expenses. Common eligible expenses include deductibles, coinsurance and copays.
How do I use my FSA, HSA, or HRA to pay for Headway sessions?
There are a few different ways that you can use your benefits to pay for your Headway sessions:
1. Add your FSA, HSA, or HRA debit card to your account,
2. Download your Headway invoices here and then submit them to your FSA, HSA, or HRA plan to receive reimbursement,
3. Reach out to us via our contact form to provide proof of HRA payment to Headway to receive reimbursement
(For option 3, please see the section below for more details: My HRA is covering my session fees. Why did I receive a charge from Headway?)
My HRA is covering my session fees. Why did I receive a charge from Headway?
With HRA's, our system works a bit differently! Headway pulls real-time benefits, and it is our policy to charge the client at the time the session is confirmed. Healthcare reimbursement accounts (HRAs) aren't easily accessible by our system so we're not always fully aware that there is an account attached that will automatically pay for the cost of sessions and we, unfortunately, don’t have access to the client’s HRA balance.
Once a claim goes through, please review your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) to see if the HRA paid for your session. If so, please reach out via our contact form with the following information:
A copy of the EOB
A full page screenshot of your HRA's account balance
How much from that balance you would like to allocate to your Headway sessions
Once we have this information, we will double check that your insurance company paid Headway appropriately, refund any outstanding session costs that you've paid to Headway, and take the necessary next steps to mitigate future errors.
Can I split my payments between more than one card?
Currently, Headway's payment processor does not support splitting payments for client invoices, meaning we're unable to apply partial balances from FSA, HSA, or HRA funds or debit cards to outstanding invoices.